The 21st century has blessed human beings with technologies never imagined before. But also it has hampered the healthy living and various health problems like hypertension, stress, insomnia is extremely common today. These problems lead into the rise of blood sugar levels. Blood sugar levels are the levels of a sugar named glucose present in the blood. While an essential amount of blood is necessary for normal operation of the human body, blood sugar levels outside the ideal range are a sign of medical illness. Blood sugar levels periodically checked can be helped to monitor a good health.
Blood Sugar Level Values
The blood sugar levels are generally measured by the units mmol/liter(millimoles per liter). In the United States, the unit used is mg/dL (milligrams per deciliter). While the various laboratories have a different scale and units, the normal values are globally the same.
Ideally, the following values of blood sugar level are considered normal.
For a Non-Diabetic Person
Fasting sugar : 70 to 100 mg/dL.
Non-fasting sugar: below 140 mg/dL.
For a Diabetic Person
Fasting sugar : 90 to 140 mg/dL.
Non-fasting sugar : below 180 mg/dL.
Blood Sugar Level Test Kit
Various test kits to check blood sugar levels at home are available in the market. It is important that you pick up the right kit with good calibration. When you purchase a kit to check blood sugar levels at home, you get a lancet which is a small sharp needle along with the kit.
Following steps can be followed to use the kit effectively:
- Clean your hands with warm water and pat them dry using a clean towel. This will increase the blood flow in your hands.
- The kit’s booklet will have an instruction set, prepare a test strip as mentioned.
- Choose a spot on your finger to extract the blood sample.
- Carefully use the lancet and get a drop of blood from your finger.
- Now place the lancet in the testing device provided for the prescribed period of time. This is generally for 10 to 15 seconds.
- The display monitor of the test kit will provide you the accurate level on its digital display.
- The foremost thing to keep in mind before you check blood sugar level is that you do at the right time. The blood sugar level has a maximum value in the morning. This is also called as the fasting sugar, for measurement of fasting sugar; make sure you haven’t eaten anything for a period of 8 hours.
- For the non-fasting sugar, the test should be taken 2 hours after the meal, when the glucose from the food is absorbed in the body.
- Both fasting and non-fasting sugar levels should be within the prescribed range for perfect health. If they exceed or are below the given values, visit your doctor as soon as possible.
- While taking the test using a test kit to check blood sugar level at home, make sure that you are calm as anxiety can result into the imbalance of levels and accurate results cannot be found out.
The test kits to check blood sugar levels at home are available easily and are compact and simple to use. You can carry them around wherever you go and stay sure. These kits are a must-have if you are diabetic. So get one for yourself and pave a way for healthy life.